What is Student Employment?

  • Student Employment offers students the opportunity to have part-time employment on or off-campus that can possibly be related to their chosen field of study.
  • Offers employment that can ​​be flexible to their school schedules.
  • Allows students to gain work experience and assist in paying for their educational expenses.
  • Pay rates are commensurate with job descriptions and experience. Documentation may be required depending on the program or type of job.
  • Students must have a valid social security card and picture ID. (International students will need additional documentation for employment which is outlined in the hire package.)

California minimum wage information

Apply For Jobs Online

Student Employment Information

Student Employment helps students earn money to pay for their educational expenses by working part time (up to 20 hours per week). Hourly pay rates vary and start at the current federal minimum wage; however, some positions may start at a higher rate of pay. There are multiple types of employment through the Student Employment Program. Explore below to understand the benefits of student employment and how each type of employment differs. The benefits of student employment include: Supervisor will work around a student’s class schedule Helps students pay for educational expenses Helps students gain work experience

Students eligible for Federal Work Study may be awarded up to $4,000 per fiscal year. Riverside City College School Code is 001270

To be eligible, students are required to:

  • Have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Have completed their financial aid file and determined eligible.
  • Meet the Student Financial Services Satisfactory Academic Progress standard.
  • Maintain at least 1/2 time enrollment.
  • Maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA.
  • Riverside Home College designation

Types of FWS Programs

  • On-Campus positions
  • Off-Campus positions
    a. America Reads
    b. America Counts
    c. Community service
    d. Literacy

Riverside Community College District employment opportunities are available throughout the District and do not require the completion of the FAFSA. Wages are paid from a department's budget.
Students must:

  • Maintain at least 1/2 time enrollment.
  • Maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA
  • Riverside Home College designation 

The CalWORKs Work Study program connects eligible CalWORKs students to entry-level employment opportunities related to their course of study. The focus is to link employers to students who can learn initial job skills, maintain long-term employment directed toward career development while continuing their college course work and maintain their GAIN (Greater Avenues for Independence) eligibility. CalWORKs Work Study sites are primarily off-campus.

Students must:

  • Maintain at least 1/2 time enrolllment.
  • Maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA.
  • Maintain eligibility with GAIN.
  • Designate Riverside City College as their Home College.

Application and Hire Process

Student Employment offers students the opportunity to have part-time employment on or off-campus that can possibly be related to their chosen field of study.

If you meet requirements for your type of student employment (federal work study, department funded work study or CalWORKs work study), apply online.

NOTE:  You may only apply to positions at your home college or positions located at a district office. Students are limited to 16 semesters or 4 years of employment (with the exception of CalWORKs Work Study).​​​  Federal Work Study Positions: Use school code 001270 on your FAFSA application. 


Once your application has been submitted you may log back into the online job application portal to check your status. Those selected will be called for interviews. You should have a response 7 – 10 business days from the closing date of the job posting. Those not selected or do not qualify will be notified with an application status update.


If hired, the supervisor will complete hire paperwork with you and submit it to the Student Employment Office for processing. This process can take up to 7-10 business days. Once processed, the supervisor will receive written notification by Student Employment and then will contact you to begin working.

NOTE:  Complete the appropriate hiring paperwork with your supervisor only if you have been offered a position.​

Resource Links:


Instructions for Supervisors

  1. Review:
  2. Complete and submit a Job Request Form (Instructions on form)
  3. Once the supervisor is notified by the Student Employment Office the Job Request is approved, the supervisor may then assist the candidate in completing hire paperwork.

Each type of student hire requires a different hiring packet. Ensure the correct forms are included depending on whether your student is a:

Direct any questions regarding the hire forms or student employment to the student Employment Office.

Please allow 7-10 business days for Job Request and Hire Paperwork processing.  Processing may take longer during peak times.  You will be notified in writing when processing is complete.  Job posting starts in June for each academic year.

Please note, new hires must complete the new hire packet, the Form I-9 and the Form W-4. 

An employer may dismiss and/or give a written warning to a student employee for several reasons. Please see the Warning / Dismissal Form for more information. 

Contact Us

Call us: (951) 222-8291

Fax us: (951) 328-3695

Email Us